Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 04:43:52 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Ben H." <strbenjr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audacity port on 5.3-BETA3

--nextPart1750495.3NYeREoKFk

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 04:13, Ben H. wrote:

> > Do 'cat /dev/sndstat' to learn what devices
> > your sounddriver provides.
>
>  strben@myserver$ cat /dev/sndstat
>  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>  Installed devices:
>  pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 5 kld snd_csa (1p/1r/0v
> channels duplex default)
>  strben@myserver$
>
> I don't see where /dev/dsp comes into play.  Can you
> elaborate please?

Okay, that was a braino - I misremembered what sndstat displays...

Anyway, /dev/dsp* are the OSS device-nodes for recording and playback (and=
=20
freebsd's newpcm is OSS compatible), so that is still correct. Everybody ha=
s=20
the /dev/dsp device nodes (and nobody has /dev/pcm).

> I was able to record from the output of my CD player so
> thanks for your help.  I will try Line in as soon as I can
> get some ... "line in".  (record-gain was it I believe!)

Not sure what you're saying here, I was referring to mixer devices. If you=
=20
type 'mixer' in your shell, you'll get output similar to this:

[lofi@kiste]:1:~ > mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to  11:11
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: line

As you can see, in this example there are two line-ins (line and line1). Th=
e=20
first one is selected as the recording source (and it translates to a Line-=
In=20
minijack input on my onboard sound). The rec mixer device controls the the=
=20
record level of the selected recording source.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org