Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:31:58 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Doug" <Doug@gorean.org>, "John" <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /etc/rc.conf restart

Hi,

    If you want to change the netmask of an interface on your server, you
can try the ifconfig command and make changes on the fly, test them, and if
they work as you thought, make them permanent by modifying the /etc/rc.conf
file ex:

ifconfig xl0 inet 10.10.9.125 netmask 255.255.255.248

and dont forget to make the propper changes to your routing table, in case
you need them.

netstat -r

to see your routing table, "man route" to see how to make propper changes to
the routing table.

Have Fun...

Ales