Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:00:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> > And that seems a little silly (so is exporting the entire NFS tree into
> > /usr/include, while we're talking about silly, but that's another diatribe
> > entirely).
>
> Hello, Jordan?  Wake up!
>
> wollman@khavrinen(11)$ ls -l /usr/include/nfs
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  8 Feb 21 15:03 /usr/include/nfs@ -> /sys/nfs

Thank you, Garrett.  However, you complelely and utterly missed my point.

When I said "exported" I meant exactly that: One way or another we
have now /usr/include/nfs/* containing the full NFS sources rather
than just the relevant header files.  If you're any kind of purist at
all, this is immediately obvious as being rather evil.  If I wanted to
move my header files from one place to another I could easily be
forgiven for wanting to simply tar up the contents of /usr/include and
get ONLY the header files (rather than a pastiche' of links, files,
sources and god-only-knows-what).

To put it another way, the /usr/include directory follows NO
consistent paradigm - some things are links, others are copies of
stuff, still others are just pointers into the sources.  If you make
with SHARED=copies then this unifies some of it by copying stuff
across, but it could then be argued that the "non-copies" case should
see /usr/include as *only* a link farm, with no actual files in there.

Am I the only one who sees this as somewhat inconsistent?

					Jordan