Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:00:01 -0700
From:      "Tim E Schafer" <tim_schafer@agship.com>
To:        "'Ernst de Haan'" <ernsth@nl.euro.net>, <java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: tomcat3 install problems on FreeBSD 4.5 with lastest ports

What would happen if I installed tomcat3 from lastest ports on FreeBSD
4.3 release that already had the stock port of tomcat (3.2.3) installed

Would it choose a different tcp port?

It seems it would be installed in a different dir
since 3.2.3 got installed in /usr/local/tomcat
And tomcat3 now is /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.3.1
But would there be any conflicts?

Now that I've played with it (3.3.1) on a test box I want to put it on a
production server but 3.2.3 works just fine so I don't want to remove it
just yet

I was thinking of cvsuping the lastest ports and installing tomcat3

Then creating symlink's in it's webapps to the existing ones in 3.2.3's
webapps for the one's I want to try and then firing it up

Sound sane?

O and in

>Exactly. In my opinion you should be able to run all ports/www
applications
>at the same time. You should not have to reinstall Orion to run Tomcat
4 or
>Apache 2.0.

did you mean it to read?   s/reinstall/deinstall/

Since I've been so windy I thought I'd take this chance to thank
everyone who has worked on freebsd-java stuff
It's really nice to have Java on FreeBSD
And Java on FreeBSD is really shaping up nicely.

Tim E Schafer         tim_schafer@agship.com
Programmer
800-562-9915 x190 or 916-376-6190

Associated Global Systems
3231 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691

> Maybe this is nitpicky but since tomcat is now tomcat3 shouldn't
> tomcatctl be tomcat3ctl and likewise for the /usr/local/etc/rc.d
script

Yup. Will make the change ASAP.

> Btw tomcat4 also worked for me.
> Even used a non-conflicting port :)

Exactly. In my opinion you should be able to run all ports/www
applications
at the same time. You should not have to reinstall Orion to run Tomcat 4
or
Apache 2.0.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ