Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:26:17 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, Yuri <yuri@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>
Subject:   Re: git repo port issues?
References:  <202401031913.403JDZBt028036@donotpassgo.dyslexicfish.net> <ZZWz-14AXfcSY2AD@spindle.one-eyed-alien.net> <46C8698A-A004-4B5F-9107-6D9FD3685074@iitbombay.org> <ZZXui1gm0IIVoWca@spindle.one-eyed-alien.net> <20240104183539.cef54811b98fe53c5841edca@dec.sakura.ne.jp> <202401041914.404JEJCm083648@donotpassgo.dyslexicfish.net> <CANCZdfrUHDbWd7_SzsF67be6xjpXPVQUD5y33DPpD-tO_0UMTw@mail.gmail.com>

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 12:49:03 -0700
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, 12:14 PM Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org> wrote:
>
> > Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp> wrote:
> >

> > > Or create database (key-value store would be sufficient) storing commit
> > > order (like r* of svn) and commit hash.
> > > I'm still not certain whether commit order or commit hash should be the
> > > "key". Possibly store hash as the key fisrt and store assigned MONOTONIC
> > > order as value, then, add the just-stored order as key and hash as
> > > value in another database would be neeed. If the database can contain 2
> > > value for 1 key, it would be suitable for you to store the assigned
> > > time in UTC as "when it is committed to FreeBSD master repo".
> >
> > I do miss the incrementing "r" value - it's a nice immediate way to
> > tell which update is more recent. Actually, to me, that is more important
> > than the date - I've attempted to base my changes on the date due to the
> > absense of such a useful field.
> >

> See sys/conf/newvers.sh for the 'n' value we use in uname strings.  It's a
> linear count of commits on the first-parent branch back to the start of the
> repo.
>
> Also, the dates usualy are first order correct and i use them for the stats
> i run. Though I've also just dropped tags on the first commit of each year
> too...
>
> Also be advised that the pre FreeBSD 8 or so tree still has some surprising
> artifacts in it.
>
> Warner

What I suspect/fear is that current n* numbers are assured to same
value for the same officially existing branch or not.
What I want is such an assured number (order).

What happenes if something lile below happened?
  *Accidentally commit something into local repo racking, for example,
   stable/14 instead of local (personal) developement branch.
  *Noticed before next `git pull` and revert it and commit it to
   correct local branch.
  *Pull upstream (official) updates.

This case, checked-out tree would be match upstream (if no other
changes are not yet done).
If n* number is kept the same as upstream with situations like above,
it could be VERY helpful if n* is exposed in mails automatically sent
to dev-commits-* ML and somehow in cgit repo (like r* numbers for old,
svn era commits).

If not, what I've described in my previous post would be helpful if
used for auto-post to ML and (hopefully) cgit, IMHO.

Regards.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>