Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:17:18 -0700
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is sendmail giving me this 550 error?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:59:34PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:32 PM, James Long wrote:
>
> >Why am I getting this 550 error?  If I telnet directly to the
> >MX for lists.oetiker.ch and perform a manual ehlo/mail from/rcpt to
> >I get a 450 greylisting response,
>
> That is what I get to.
>
> >which makes much more sense
> >than this 550/503 failure.
>
> For reasons I don't understand your instance of sendmail is *not*
> talking to the MX for lists.oetiker.ch.  For some reason it is
> talking to localhost.

Mutt is running on the mailserver.  It submits the outgoing mail to
localhost.  localhost should relay the mail out to the recipient.

> So that 550 isn't coming from lists.oetiker.ch, but is coming from
> your own host.

I realize that, hence my post.  The server sends lots of outgoing
non-local mail.  Just not to the smokeping list subscription
address.

I had looked at /etc/mail/access prior to posting, but not closely
enough.  It was being denied by an access map entry.

Jim