Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:27:26 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Wei Hu <weh@microsoft.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "d@delphij.net" <d@delphij.net>
Subject:   Re: vRSS support on FreeBSD

On 11 August 2014 02:48, Wei Hu <weh@microsoft.com> wrote:
> CC freebsd-net@ for wider discussion.
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Many thanks for the explanation.  I checked the if_igb.c  and found the f=
lowid field was set in the RX side in igb_rxeof():

> Igb_rxeof()
> {
> #ifdef  RSS
>                         /* XXX set flowtype once this works right */
>                         rxr->fmp->m_pkthdr.flowid =3D
>                             le32toh(cur->wb.lower.hi_dword.rss);
>                         rxr->fmp->m_flags |=3D M_FLOWID;
> }
>
> I have two questions regarding this.
>
> 1. Is the RSS hash value stored in cur->wb.lower.hi_dword.rss set by the =
NIC hardware?

Yup.

> 2. So the hash value and m_flags are stored in the mbuf related to the re=
ceived packet on the rx side(lgb_rxeof()). But we check the hash value and =
m_flags in mbuf related to the send packet on the tx side (in igb_mq_start(=
)). Does the kernel re-use the same mbuf for tx? If so, how does it know fo=
r the same network stream it should use the same mbuf got from the rx for p=
acket sending? If not, how does the kernel preserve the same hash value acr=
oss the rx mbuf and tx mbuf for same network stream? This seems quite magic=
al to me.

The mbuf flowid/flowtype ends up in the inpcb->inp_flowid /
inpcb->inp_flowtype as part of the TCP receive path.

Then whenever the TCP code outputs an mbuf, it copies the inpcb flow
details out to outbound mbufs.

> For the Hyper-V case, the host controls which vCPU it wants to interrupt.=
 And the rule can change dynamically based on the load. For a non-busy VM, =
host will send most packets to same vCPU for power saving purpose. For a bu=
sy VM, host will distribute the packets evenly across all vCPUs. This means=
 host could change the RSS bucket mapping dynamically. Hyper-V does this by=
 sending a mapping table to VM whenever the it needs update. This also mean=
s we cannot use FreeBSD's own bucket mapping which I believe is fixed. Also=
 Hyper-V use its own hash key. So do you think it is possible we still use =
the exisiting RSS infrastructure built in FreeBSD in this purpose?

Eventually. Doing rebalancing in RSS is on the TODO list, after I get
the rest of the basic packet handling / routing done.

How's vRSS notify the VM that the mapping table has changed? What's
the format of it look like?

-a