Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:00:35 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.5.0 seems much chubbier than 3.4.2

[Apologies for the duplicate emails.]

On Jan 30, 2006, at 9:46 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> [ fixed CC ]
>>>
>>> new malloc = userland, not kernel.
>>
>> Yeah but I don't install world without first doing install kernel :)
>
> I think I was crack smoking here..
> Recompiling the new libc with NO_MALLOC_EXTRAS reduced the memory
> usage
> *significantly*.

Yes, I'd expect the memory usage to decrease if you build with
NO_MALLOC_EXTRAS, since redzone overhead is 32 bytes per object.  Do
you see any evidence of unbounded X memory usage though?

> A make.conf knob would be highly appreciated here :)

Why not just append to CFLAGS in make.conf?  NO_MALLOC_EXTRAS is a
development-only flag, since the malloc debug features will be
disabled for releases, so a make.conf knob would have no relevance to
releases.  Unless there's serious worry about cpp namespace
pollution, I don't understand the need for the patch you provided.

Thanks,
Jason