Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:43:36 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        "'John Birrell'" <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        nrice@emu.sourcee.com, imp@village.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

Would it make sense to install the new mk files during the bootstrap
target. The original idea I had for the bootstrap target was to deal
with precisely these things, carry out steps required to bootstrap from
the previously released version to current.

It does mean that you get the mew mk files installed even if the build
subsequently fails and you don't install the new version, would this
cause any problems since you'd be working with new Makefiles anyway if
you'd upgraded your sources to run the bootstrap in the first place.

I successfully upgraded from 2.2.5 to current by doing

cd /usr/src/share/mk
make install

and then doing a make world as normal. If there's no other problems just
add the above step to bootstrap and make bootstrap the first stage of
make world as it was meant to be.

Paul Richards Ph.D.
Originative Solutions Ltd

http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418
353 137