Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:39:27 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cleanout & rebuild of /dev on -current

Hello

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:50:52PM -0700, John W. De Boskey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Interesting question was posed to me which I can't
> locate a straight answer to.
>
>    We've been following -current for a few years now.
> Over time, the devices in /dev have moved around, new
> added, and old deleted (ie: we've never had to restage
> one of these machines and/or purge it and reinstall).
>
>    So, what would the correct sequence be to wipeout
> /dev and recreate it? (create /dev in an alternate
> location and compare the two...??)

I think that just running MAKEDEV with all options you might need (like snd0
or whatever) and then (after making sure you did not forget anything, eg
disk slices:-) simply do a find(1) for anything that is older than the
recreated devices and removing them should be fine. (I remember doing this
once sometime between 3.x and 4.x with no ill effects.)

But your solution is certainly also workable.

>    Given that the above can be automated on a live
> system, is this something that can/should be added
> to make installworld/world?  (or atleast generate
> a report of changed devices, or devices that can
> nolonger be created..)

It already is, if you do it the recommended way, also running mergemaster(8)
during the process, that is. It also does a MAKEDEV in /var/tmp/root *and*
automatically checks for differences.

Hope this helps:-)

--
Regards: