Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:41:31 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Albert Chen <chen6178@hotmail.com>
Cc:        culverk@wam.umd.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Can't detect my Matsushita/Panasonic IDE CDROM.

Albert Chen wrote:

> >From dpsmith@xoom.com Fri Jan 22 18:20:56 1999

> detect
> in
> advance.
> >> > >
> >> All you need to do is us the ATAPI options. specifically add this to
> your
> >> kernel config file:
> >>
> >> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> >> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> >> device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM
> >
> >ATAPI & ATAPI_STATIC are in GENERIC anyway, as is wcd0 and matcd0. acd0
> >is for CD-ROM & CD-R/RW according to LINT and should be used *in place
> >of* wcd, so if the original poster is booting the GENERIC kernel there
> >shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> >What's confusing me is ''I add the line "controller      matcd0  at
> isa?
> >port 0x230 bio" in kernel''. Why? when it's there already?
> >

> Hi, Mark & Kenneth,
>
> The following lines in my kernel config file,
>
> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> device          matcd0          #IDE CD-ROM
> controller      matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 bio
>
> But FreeBSD can't still detect CDROM :-(
> I run dmesg, and the result is below:
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DTTA-350840>
> wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 not found at 0x170
> matcd0 not found ad 0x230
>
> Would you like to tell me how to sovle it, thanks.

OK, firstly, is your CD-ROM an IDE device _or_ a Matsushita/Panasonic
proprietry device? The controller matcd0 is only for CD-ROM's with the
proprietry Mat/Pan interface (as used on SB cards) not for IDE devices
_made_ by Mat/Pan.

If it is IDE then you don't need ``matcd0'' in your config file. Also,
there is no such thing as ``device matcd0'' only ``controller matcd0''
(look in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT).

The following is from the handbook:

Proprietary CD-ROM support

      The following drivers are for the so-called proprietary CD-ROM
drives.
      These drives have their own controller card or might plug into a
sound
      card such as the SoundBlaster 16. They are not IDE or SCSI.
      Most older single-speed and double-speed CD-ROMs use these
interfaces,
      while newer quad-speeds are likely to be IDE or SCSI.

      device mcd0 at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 10 vector mcdintr

            Mitsumi CD-ROM (LU002, LU005, FX001D).

      device scd0 at isa? port 0x230 bio

            Sony CD-ROM (CDU31, CDU33A).

      controller matcd0 at isa? port ? bio

            Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM (sold by Creative Labs for
SoundBlaster).

> P.S. My CDROM is in Secondary Slave.

As it is the secondary slave, it is on wdc1 which the dmesg output shows
is not being detected, so if the controller is not detected any device
on it won't be either. We need to find out why not. It isn't disabled in
the BIOS is it? (if you've got Windows on the machine and the CD works
there then it must be enabled).

The second thing to ask is why is it the slave on the secondary IDE
channel?. Have you got another HD as the master on the second channel?.
If not then that could cause problems, try making the CD the master on
the second channel.

Is your IDE on the motherboard or an add on card? I ask this because my
first PC had the IDE on a card but with only one port. When I got a
CD-ROM I bought a card which had a (single) IDE port but configured as
the second channel (IRQ15, 0x170). This was common once when IDE
CD-ROM's first appeared. Anyway I could not get the CD working under
Windows or FreeBSD and eventually threw out both cards and bought one
with dual IDE ports. Turns out it had _exectly_ the same chipset as the
original single port card and that was the problem, the chipset
supported both channels and wouldn't let any other devices use the IRQ
and address even though it wasn't using them for anything. Could this be
your problem?.

See if you can figure why the kernel can't detect wcd1 (if your drive
really is IDE). Fix that and your CD should be found as wcd0 (master) of
wcd1 (slave).

Let me know how you get on.

HTH

> Best regards,
> Albert.

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.