Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2017 21:47:46 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <o.hartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r326734: serial console fails: boot stuck at: Consoles: internal video/keyboard

--Sig_/PP.mSn=08Gpc/um65A/e0xy

Am Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:00:12 -0700
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> schrieb:

> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
>=20
> > > On 9. Dec 2017, at 19:41, O. Hartmann <ohartmann@walstatt.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Running a PCengines APU2C4 with FreeBSD Current, r326734, fails to bo=
ot, =20
> > it gets stuck at =20
> > > the very first messages on the serial console prompting
> > >
> > > Consoles: internal video/keyboard
> > >
> > > and then nothing more. =20
> > I don't think it is a general problem with r326734. I'm running on the
> > same hardware
> > that revision (with some modifications to the TCP I'm testing): =20
> > > uname -a =20
> > FreeBSD nf3.testbed 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #31 r326734M: Sat
> > Dec  9 20:03:59 CET 2017     tuexen@nf3.testbed:/usr/home/
> > tuexen/head/sys/amd64/compile/TCP  amd64
> > =20
>=20
> Hi Michael,
>=20
> What's your boot setup? BIOS vs UEFI? UFS vs ZFS? GELI? GPT vs MBR? Plants
> vs Zombies? And did you update your boot blocks or not?
>=20
> Warner

All right, I got your point here, my bad, my apaologies.

I boot from a NanoBSD-prepared image residing on a SD card. The partiton sc=
heme is GPT,
non UEFI (the SeaBIOS, latest version available for the APU2C2 available) d=
oesn't support
UEFI. NanoBSD scripts (legacy.sh) has been modified to fit our requests.

The modifications target at most the creation of a GPT partition scheme lay=
out,
installing boot/pmbr as bootcode and boot/gptboot on a freebsd-boot partiti=
on as well as
boot/boot1.efifat onto a dedicated efi-type partition. The UEFI partition i=
s usually
created before(!) the freebsd-boot partition, but in this specific version,=
 there is NO
EFI partition, only the gptboot containing partition. The binaries of the a=
bove mentioned
bootcode/efi code images are taken from the newly build world. I do not use=
 boot0sio, the
portion where it is installed is excluded by some "if GPT; then" clause.

The last known-good version I reported in working is the image I backuped l=
ast time. I
lost the USB 2.0 flash device today containing the last version, that was n=
ot far from
r326218, the version that corrupted FreeBSD, I guess it was r326184, but I =
really do not
know and I havn't a backup of that image.

The buildworld process is maintained by a bunch of WITHOUT_ statements in a=
 file driving
NanoBSD. This just for the record just in case FreeBSD build system changed
something significantly.

Building a world takes 90 minutes or more, so bi-secting the problem would =
be a pain in
the arse (that said, I imply that world and kernel need to be in sync).

I would appreciate hints or tipps where to look after or how to increase ve=
rbosity
especially at the first boot stage.

The PCengines APU with the most recent SeaBIOS isn't capable of booting Fre=
eBSD from USB
3.0 devices. Even from USB 2.0 flashdrives working images fail at the boot =
loader with
"failed with error 19".