Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 00:22:52 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk>
To:        Larry Dolinar <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cmdtool scrolling, owplace(1)...

On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, Larry Dolinar wrote:

> Two quick ones:
>
> XFree86 3.1.2 (from /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE subdirs):
>
> 1. I've noticed cmdtool repeats commands *infinitely* (ie: 'ls' repeatedly
>    executes) and the window must be killed.  shelltool with scrolling
>    enabled exhibits same behavior.  termcap issue?  'env' shows
>    TERM=xterm.

I usually run cmdtool from an xterm and get the opposite behaviour when I
do, for example, ls -la on my home directory - the cmdtool locks up after
the ls completes, and any further input ends up on the xterm I invoked it
from!

There seem to be quite a few problems with the xview and olvwm ports (that's
not being critical - it must have been quite a job getting it to work at
all). Here are all the things I've done that seem to improve things:-

1. Change all calls to cfree() to free().
2. Edit all the hard-coded references to "/usr/lib/X11" (yuck!)
3. ln -s /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11
4. Add the following to your .profile, if you use sh/bash/ksh as your shell:-
	EXTRASMENU=/usr/X11R6/lib/.text_extras_menu
	OLWMMENU=/usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu
	OPENWINHOME=/usr/X11R6
	export EXTRASMENU OLWMMNEU OPENWINHOME

   If you use csh/tcsh, add to your .cshrc instead:-
	setenv EXTRASMENU /usr/X11R6/lib/.text_extras_menu
	setenv OLWMMENU /usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu
	setenv OPENWINHOME /usr/X11R6

5. Either copy the distribution clients/olwm/.olwmmenu to
   /usr/X11R6/lib/openwin-menu or write your own (or do what I did and
   steal the one that comes with Slackware! 8-)

Further suggestions welcome as I think I've reached the point where further
investigation would require knowledge of X programming and a lot of spare
time, neither of which I have very much of 8-(

> 2. Attempts to save workspace by adding
>         "Save Workspace"    SAVE_WORKSPACE
>
>    to the OpenWindows system menu/submenus results in a popup basically
>    stating that owplace(1) failed to execute.  Assuming it's a binary,
>    naturally it's not around.  What package/port is it part of?

Most of the binaries on the menu seem to be missing, presumably as Sun has
more restrictive licensing terms on them.

James

Segmentation fault (core dumped): cannot find file '.signature'