Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 00:53:43 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies FAK

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 11:00:08PM +0100, David Marsh wrote:
> I'm not sure why the decision has been made to direct *all* questions
> to FreeBSD-questions.

In a nutshell;

  1. It means that people that want to ask questions only have one list
     to post to, they don't need to cross-post to both lists.

  2. People that want to answer questions only have to read one list.

  3. The nature of the audience on -questions hopefully ensures that the
     information you receive is more accurate. One of my reasons for
     being on this list is to correct mis-information if it's posted.
     Typically, I do this by mailing the person that posted the
     mis-information, explaining why it's wrong, and then let them
     followup back to the list with the right information.

> Where is there a good tutorial on the more arcane features of 'vi'
> (and one that's more readable and has more examples than `man vi')?

IMHO, that's borderline. Doubtless other people will disagree.
Something like

  "So, what did you guys use when you were learning 'vi'?"

is more on the mark.

> Does anybody know where I can get StarOffice documentation?
> www.stardivision.com doesn't seem to have any.

Nothing to do with being new to FreeBSD, so off topic for this list. Again,
IMHO.

> FreeBSD-questions is a very busy list, and so far, I'm duly subscribed
> to it, but it is very timeconsuming to wade through. From my previous
> internet experience, I know that it's generally considered rude to fire
> questions at a list you don't subscribe to.
>
> So I'm wondering if -questions really is different in this case?
> Do people not mind emailing answers directly to NON-subscribing
> questioners? On most other lists that would be considered rude.

-questions is a bit different in this case. Apart from anything else,
I believe most of the question answerers include a cc: back to the
original questioner when they reply. It's just the done thing.

> (It would make things a little easier for me not to have to read/junk
> every topic on the -questions list, but there's the old chestnut that
> the question might just have been answered previously.

I throw away perhaps 70% of -questions unread, based on the subject lines.
I skim the remaining 30%, looking for stuff that I might need to know
one day, or answering those questions that I can.

I'm subscribed to almost all the FreeBSD mailing lists. Takes me about
an hour and a half each day, most of which is spent deleting messages.

> (How many times was "Hey? I get this lib.des.blah error in 2.2.6..?"
> asked recently.. :-( ))

Dunno. But that's what the list archives are for.

<snip>

> But please let me know if this has been gone over before or if I'm
> treading on somebody's toes..

It's been gone over before, I believe the current way it works is the best
of the possible options.

In particular, point 1 of my list above (people not knowing which list
to post their question to, and so cross-posting it to both) could quite
rapidly destroy this list. Again, IMHO.

<snip>

> >   quickly. It includes books, on line documents and tutorials, and
> >links
> >   to web pages that other newbies have found useful for learning. If
> >you
> >   have a suggestion for good material to be included, please write to
> >   freebsd-newbies and tell us about it.
>
> Right, this sounds good, but it really is the first I've heard of it.

-newbies hasn't been going too long, since the end of March by my
reckoning.

> >   One thing we're going to see a fair bit is people posting
> >questions,
> >   believing they're doing the right thing by posting here as newbies,
> >   not realising how it works. If someone answers those questions the
>
> I think that having a single monolithic -questions group isn't the best
> way to deal with things, as it becomes too much for people to keep up
> with, not least the long-term answerers themselves, I'm sure.

Possibly not. There are subsets of -questions for some topics. For
example, the -scsi and -multimedia lists. If you were to post a
question to -questions along the line of "Which video card should I get
to do OpenGL" (or something like that) you'd probably be redirected to
the -multimedia mailing list.

There's probably room for some more mailing lists along these lines,
possible a -ppp or -network for networking related problems, and so on.
If you want to start a discussion about this in -questions, feel free.

<snip>

> There doesn't seem to be much discussion going on, unfortunately.

My local copy of this list shows 2,441 messages since I subscribed,
which is roughly 20 a day. There was quite a vocal discussion about
various topics recently.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?