Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 1997 15:42:22 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for extending minor numbers...

Well, I've got my driver working for the 8 port Cyclades cards. Now its
time to work on the 64 port cards.

As you can see, if I have a call in, call out, call in initial state, call
out initial state, call in lock state, and call out lock state, I'm
going to need 384 minor numbers, which is already over the 8-bit limit
on minor numbers. If I choose to support multiple boards, I could use
between 768, and 1536 minor numbers, possibly more in machines with more than
4 PCI slots. With the % of CPU per board the driver is taking, 3 of these
64 port boards should be possible....

Anyhow, I've considered dropping initial and lock state devices, and use
a different major number for each of the boards. I'm curious to see if this
is a "reasonable thing to do" (tm), or whether this is a better way to go
that I haven't yet figured out.

Suggestions anyone?
	-Brian