Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 11:02:08 -0400
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Large Drives Under BSD 4.0 Release

> To that affect, I've got a new 486 system that I'm setting up, and wish to
> make it a samba server or something similar... I intended on purchasing a
> large (10gig plus) drive, but was informed by the helpful (?) person at
> the hardware store not to bother, as my bios would not be able to
> recognize the hard drive.....
>
> Before I discarded this idea totally (the samba server), I thought I would
> ask the people on this list whether this definately would be the case, I
> vaguely remember something on the list about Bsd can use the bios settings
> for HDDs, or manual settings...

I'm running a samba server on a 486 with FreeBDS 3.2 and it's great.

Your question is more hardware-related than FreeBSD-related, I think. Older
BIOSes can't recognize newer very large drives. You *can* manually configure
your drive stats (cylinders, heads, etc...) on most BIOSes I've seen. That
may solve your problem, but you need to get it exactly right or it won't
work.

I've also seen inexpensive I/O cards (an ISA card with serial, parallel, and
IDE ports) to put in older PCs to allow the use of newer drives. I don't
know how they work -- perhaps there is some sort of secondary BIOS data on
the card. I've thought of adding one to my 486 to get the second IDE channel
(I only have one!). SIIG makes them and they cost less the $20 here in the
US.

Good Luck!! Keep those 486s running!!!!
--
Michael A. Smith -- Programmer at Large