Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2020 04:59:59 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Monitor an app

Are there any tools that monitor apps or services and do sane things to =
make sure that the series are running?

Obviously, I can write a simple script that says something like "if =
service <name> status doesn't have a PID, then =E2=80=A6" but that's =
simplistic and I don't want something that is simply going to restart a =
failed service over and over every time it crashes. (But once or twice =
when it crashes is good, with an escalation to maybe restart a different =
series and a fall back from that to restart the machine=E2=80=A6 but =
again, not restarting the machine a few seconds after boot because it =
can't start the service.)

I am not looking for something that says "hey, email is not working" (I =
already have that but more subtly like "Hey, dovecot isn't running" or =
"MySQL isn't running".

Googling leads me to external monitoring of forward facing services =
based on port scanning, I'm looking for something local to the machine.

--=20
IT'S BECAUSE OF THE UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE. 'What's that?' I'M NOT
	SURE. --The Fifth Elephant