Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 16:20:22 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        bde@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding ISA devices dynamically

I have been writing some code to do this and I had problems with the
intrcnt array.  This array is used to count both device and stray
interrupts and is either indexed by the device id or by NR_DEVICES+irq for
strays.

Since I am adding devices dynamically, I generate new struct isa_devices
with new device ids.  Unfortunately, my new device ids are greater than
NR_DEVICES and register_intr() fails for the new devices.  Basically, we
have a static limit for interrupting devices.

I can (and have) hacked the code to have a larger static limit.  The
question is, what should the static limit be and should there be a limit
at all?  It seems fairly easy to extend the intrcnt array dynamically
dynamically if I separate out the counts for strays.  That would mean
changing vmstat but it shouldn't be too hard.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com