Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:20:55 -0500
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: hostname and dhcp

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about your system
which is connected to the public internet, and you are using the
FBSD built in DHCP client to get an lease from your ISP. Now if you
are an commercial user with an officially registered domain name and
static ip address from your ISP,  Your ISP has you in their DHCP
server with your FQDN and it's being sent to your system when you
get an new lease. The FBSD built in DHCP client is not configured to
accept that info which will auto populate the hostname= environment
variable.  Install the DHCP package on you system and configure It's
client to accept that info.

If you are not an commercial user, then the host name the ISP uses
for you is meaningless to you. If you have officially registered
domain name then use that in your hostname=  statement, like this,
hostname="cyberbaby.com", then that FQDN will be what sendmail uses
for all the users on your LAN. Then use DHCP server to pass the
major FQDN to all LAN PC, and those systems will append to the front
their system names and tell your DHCP server their full name.

If you do not have LAN or officially registered domain name, then
all you need, is to meet the domain nameing convention,
something.com and you are all set go. IE:
hostname="home.FBSDyourLastName.com".

As far as reverse lookup goes, that is only on officially registered
domain names,  either yours, which really happens at the registry
hosting your domain name, or at the ISP if your using their email
servers.

On your system the value you use in hostname=  should also be in the
/etc/hosts file like this

#
::1			localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1		localhost home.FBSDyourLastName.com FBSDyourLastName.com
#

Hope this helps

Joe