Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:01:24 +0200
From:      Kristian Rink <afterimage@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI / APM on Acer Aspire 1310XC

Hi all,...

...still struggling to get any sort of FreeBSD up and running on my
Acer notebook, I am constantly failing. Facts:

- The machine is an Acer Aspire 1310XC, running an AMD Athlon 1800
Mobile CPU.
- The board chipset seems to be sort of a Via Apollo Pro266, with a
Savage4 display controller and an ac97 sound chip included.

* Tried to install FreeBSD 4.8, this failed even while trying to
boot the installation CD-ROM - the system quickly dies saying
something like

uhci1: <VIA...
pci_cfgintr_search: linked (2) to configured irq 11 at 0:16:0

fault virtual address = 0xe7016
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
[snip]
current process: 0 swapper
interrupt mask = net tty bio cam

* FBSD 5.0 installs fine. Everything works pretty fine (sound even
better than with Windoze XP which came with the nb or with Knoppix
3.2 I used to initially put an OS to the machine) up to the moment I
enable ACPI. Then, not even X starts up anymore - the screen shows
some weird, colored ascii symbols and the machine reboots
immediately after.

* FBSD 5.1 installs pretty well (apart for the fact that I can't
boot off the installation iso so I use the boot floppies). Anyhow,
booting up with ACPI reboots the system as soon as I try to
configure / start up X.

Optionally, I was trying to run 5.0 with APM instead of ACPI
(because all I need is just to see the battery state of the
notebook), sadly seems that my machine doesn't work with FBSD's
APM-implementation. :(

Anyhow... can anyone give me any hints on how to get my machine up
and running FBSD (no matter which version)? :)

TIA, have a good time...
Kris