Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:04:39 -0400
From:      "Robert H. Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Upgrade to 4.8 RELEASE

Hello,

I'm making plans to upgrade from 4.7 RELEASE to 4.8 RELEASE.  My
previous attempt was a binary upgrade from 4.5 to 4.7 which did not go
very well.  I eventually purchased the 4.7 CD.

The FreeBSD Handbook stresses  backing up the system and implies that
/dump/ is a better backup program.  Chapter 12.9.8.1 of  the handbook
recommends having a copy of the boot and fixit floppies available and
making sure they have all your devices, otherwise you'll need to prepare
two bootable custom floppies  that contain /fdisk, disklabel, newfs,
mount, /and your backup program.   It goes on to say that these programs
must be statically linked.  I understand hard and soft links but I'm not
familiar with static links.  The handbook also provides a script for
creatinng a bootable floppy.

Can someone help me understand static link?  Secondly, can I assume that
the script must be reviewed for likely modifications?  I'm just learning
shell programming and if significant modifications are necessary, I may
end up purchasing a CD for 4.8.

Any suggestions relative to the upgrade process is also appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob