Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:39:45 +0200
From:      Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: epoch(9) background information?

On 21/08/18 14:33, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I update currently a port of the FreeBSD network stack, etc. to the=20
> real-time operating system RTEMS from the head version at 2017-04-04=20
> to the head version of today. I noticed that some read-write locks are=20
> replaced by a relatively new stuff called EPOCH(9). Is there some=20
> background information available for this? The man page is a bit vague=20
> and searching for something named epoch on the internet is not really=20
> great. For example, what is the motivation for this change? How is=20
> this related to read-copy-update (RCU)?

We used the FreeBSD network stack also on low-end targets=20
(uni-processor) such as MCF548x ColdFire, Atmel SAM V71, SPARC LEON,=20
etc. in current production environments (not legacy systems). The=20
introduction of lock-free data structures (Concurrency Kit) and this=20
epoch memory reclamation makes little sense on these targets (at least=20
from my point of view). However, FreeBSD has still the SMP configuration=20
option (sys/conf/options) which suggests that SMP is optional. Is a=20
uni-processor system something which is considered by the FreeBSD=20
community as a thing worth supporting or can I expect that this is an=20
exotic environment which will get less and less well supported in the=20
future? I just need some guidance so that I can better plan for future=20
FreeBSD baseline updates.

--=20
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de

Diese Nachricht ist keine gesch=C3=A4ftliche Mitteilung im Sinne des EHUG=
.