Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:01:04 -0700
From:      joe_dumont@agilent.com
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   remote kernel debugging - Free BSD 3.3

------_=_NextPart_000_01C05B10.A703C3A0

Hi Greg,

My name is Joe and I am sending this email to you because you answered
a similar question regarding remote kernel debugging.  I hope you
might have a few minutes to answer this.

I am running Free BSD 3.3 and I am trying to debug a kernel located
on another processor.  I carefully followed the directions on how to:
- build the kernels (including the necessary flags to assign to the
serial interfaces);
- strip the debug symbols from the target kernel (strip -x kernel);
- connect to the remote kernel through a serial port (cuaa0).

On the target kernel, I performed a boot -d, entered gdb, and
then entered s to step into the next instruction.  After successfully
connecting
to the target kernel, I enter c on the remote system (I am using ddd 3.2.1)
and the target kernel completes its load.  So, to this point things are
going
well.  I set the debugger to track the serial communications through the
statement set remotedebug 1 as shown here:

GNU DDD 3.2.1 (i386-portbld-freebsd3.4), by Dorothea L|tkehaus and Andreas
Zeller.
Copyright ) 1995-1999 Technische Universitdt Braunschweig, Germany.
Copyright ) 1999-2000 Universitdt Passau, Germany.
Breakpoint 1 at 0xc01acb25: file ../../netinet/ip_input.c, line 265. (gdb)
delete 1
(gdb) target remote /dev/cuaa0
Remote debugging using /dev/cuaa0
Debugger (msg=0xc026f3bc "Boot flags requested debugger") at
../../i386/i386/db_interface.c:320
(gdb) set remotedebug 1
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Sending packet: $mc01a9129,1#c4...Ack
Packet received: 31
Sending packet: $Xc01a9129,0:#e8...Ack
Packet received:
binary downloading NOT suppported by target
Sending packet: $Mc01a9129,1:cc#a4...Ack
Packet received: OK
Sending packet: $mc01a9191,1#c3...Ack
Packet received: 8b
binary downloading NOT suppported by target
Sending packet: $Mc01a9191,1:cc#a3...Ack
Packet received: OK
Sending packet: $mc01a93fd,1#25...Ack
Packet received: 31
binary downloading NOT suppported by target
Sending packet: $Mc01a93fd,1:cc#05...Ack
Packet received: OK
Sending packet: $mc01a92d1,1#ef...Ack
Packet received: 8b
binary downloading NOT suppported by target
Sending packet: $Mc01a92d1,1:cc#cf...Ack
Packet received: OK
Sending packet: $mc01a9561,1#c4...Ack
Packet received: 31
binary downloading NOT suppported by target
Sending packet: $Mc01a9561,1:cc#a4...Ack
Packet received: OK
Sending packet: $Hc0#db...Ack
Packet received:
Sending packet: $c#63...Ack
Packet received: T0508:2a911ac0;05:ecbdd4d0;04:e4bdd4d0;

I can see that there is communication to and from the target kernel.

When I run a program on the remote system that forces the kernel to
execute a function that I am interested in, I start to see the following
messages over the serial line:

Sending packet: $g#67...Packet received:
T0508:2a911ac0;05:ecbdd4d0;04:e4bdd4d0;
Sending packet: $g#67...Sending packet: $g#67...Sending packet:
$g#67...Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Bad register packet; fetching a new packet
Timed out.

The target system never sends an Ack back to the system on which I am
running
ddd, and the target at this point hangs.  Any ideas why the kernel that I
am trying to debug just stops communicating through the serial interface?

I appreciate any help/ideas that you have, because I am wits end right now!
I have done the obvious checks:  new cable, new serial boards, making sure
that I can transfer a file through the serial interface (and did it
successfully),
and I also went back to the instructions in the Free BSD manuals.

I am stumped!

thanks in advance

Joe Dumont

------_=_NextPart_000_01C05B10.A703C3A0
	filename="DUMONT,JOE (A-Andover,ex1).vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:DUMONT;JOE
FN:DUMONT,JOE (A-Andover,ex1)