Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:54:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Tyler Spivey <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sony cdu

Tyler Spivey wrote:

> what are the ata lines i need?
> i have a 2x cdrom drive.

You may have a scd CDROM.

Have you ever looked inside or had someone look inside your computer
to see where the CDROM is hooked up? The SoundBlaster cards have a
connector on the end of the card that would be connected to your
cdrom. This is where your cdrom would be connected if it is a scd.

I have a NEC downstairs but I don't have any idea how I would hook it
up in FreeBSD. That is where the output from "dmesg" comes in. It will
tell you if it detects the CDROM. You can also do something like

"dmesg > cdrom.txt"

and then include cdrom.txt in your email. That will let someone see if
you need to mount a different device when you want to use it.

If it is really an atapi cdrom, and I don't think it is at this point,
you have to use some of

#
# The 'ATA' driver supports all ATA and ATAPI devices.
# It can reuse the majors of wd.c for booting purposes.
# You only need one "device ata" for it to find all
# PCI ATA/ATAPI devices on modern machines.
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives

#The folliwing options are valid on the ATA driver:
#
# ATA_STATIC_ID:        controller numbering is static (like the old
driver)
#                       else the device numbers are dynamically
allocated.
# ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA: enable DMA on ATAPI device, since many ATAPI
devices
#                       claim to support DMA but doesn't actually
work, this
#                       is not enabled as default.

options         ATA_STATIC_ID
#options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA

#
# For older non-PCI systems, these are the lines to use:
#device         ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
#device         ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

BTW, most of the SoundBlaster-16's are hooked up at
device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html