Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2012 02:10:22 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two Intel E31220L 9.0-Stable systems, 'kern.random' missing on one?

--zMJiK8ZuAkzScPs5

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 03:11:21PM +0000, Karl Pielorz wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I have two SuperMicro E31220L based systems - both had identical=20
> /etc/sysctl.conf - I then shifted them from 9.0-R to 9.0-Stable (as of=20
> 2012/12/03).
>=20
> Now I've noticed of them complains at boot time that a bunch of OID's are=
=20
> missing - and sure enough:
>=20
> "
> sysctl kern.random
> sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.random'
> "
>=20
> But the other system returns these fine.
>=20
> One system ID's as 'Intel E31220L @ 2.20Ghz' - the other ID's as 'Intel=
=20
> E31220L V2 @ 2.30Ghz' the V2 system is apparently 'missing' the kern.rand=
om=20
> stuff.
>=20
> The only reason I can think for the OID's not being present is if one=20
> system is using hardware RNG? - Though 'man 4 random' states:
>=20
> "The only hardware implementation currently is for the
>      VIA C3 Nehemiah (stepping 3 or greater) CPU.  More will be added in =
the
>      future."
>=20
> Is there any other reason why they would have 'disappeared' on the non V2=
=20
> system? (in fact, looking at the Feature2 line I can see 'RDRAND' on the =
V2=20
> system, hmm so I'm guessing that's it?!)

You noted that RDRAND is supported by your hardware. And indeed, FreeBSD
got the RDRAND (aka Bull Mountain) hardware random number generator support
recently.

=46rom my reading of the sys/dev/random code, the kern.random OID is only
instantiated if the software implementation is selected. If you prefer
software, you can disable RDRAND with hw.ivy_rng_enable=3D0 tunable.

--zMJiK8ZuAkzScPs5

--zMJiK8ZuAkzScPs5--