Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:37:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk Engling <erdgeist@gate5.de>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "erdgeist@gate5.de" <erdgeist@gate5.de>
Subject:   Re: mounting /usr/ports to multiple jails

> One way would be to NFS-export /usr/ports to localhost
> (read-only), then mount it from localhost into every jail.
> This works pretty well, unless you have more than a few
> hundred jails.  Advantage:  When you update the ports, you
> just have to update /usr/ports in the host environment.
> All the jails will automatically see all changes.  Disad-
> vantage:  The mount list can grow pretty large, depending
> on the number of jails, which is a bit ugly.

Well, this is not the problem, I do have with NFS. I, honestly,
do not want to have that mountd/portmap/nfsd on my host system,
as it proved to be "insecure on some occasions".

> Another way would be to make hard-linked directory trees.
[...]
> tage:  When updating your ports, you have to remove and re-
> create all copies of it in your jails, otherwise they won't
> see new files, and obsolete files wouldn't disappear.

This, also, is not the real problem with hardlinks. It simply
would not solve my inode problem. And the daily update for
the users ports would be hell :)

What I really hoped to hear was something like: Oh well, we
finally fixed all the bugs in mount_nullfs but forgot to update
the man-page :)

Thanks for your fast answer

  Dirk

--