Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:27:53 -0700
From:      Allen <soundbyte@sound-by-design.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, soundbyte@sound-by-design.com
Subject:   Hard disk allocation

I have aquired an older 486 running BSDi and have neither the bins nor
the password to log on the machine.  It works fine right up to the login
and then it stops just like it should.  (The machine was a radio station
logger so is quite robust.

My question, which I can find no information on is, how do I allocate
disk space.

The machine has one floopy and 3 SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec1542
card, one 345 meg and two 200 meg and I have two extra 200 meg drives
available as well as an older (1994/5?) SCSI CDROM.

What I don't comprehend is how to split the install over the drives to
best utilize the space available.

The other question is about creating the boot floppies.  Since I can not
access the BSDi, should I make the floppies on my W95 machine?

How should/do I partition/format the drives?  I do not want any messdos
on the machine if possible.

I bought the Walnut Creek PowerPac so that is what I'm starting with.

TIA

Allen Schaaf