Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:48:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Brian McGroarty" <BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com>
Cc:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>, "freebsd-advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

> What I'm reacting to is that the silly cartoon character makes the packaging
> look like Reader Rabbit, not a mature operating system product. Discounting
> those already familiar with FreeBSD, if the intent is to sell this OS to
> parents and Barney fans, nobody needs to change a thing about the artwork.

I think that there are already so many more obvious and clearly
detrimental shortcomings in FreeBSD's advocacy (lack of books,
magazines, trade shows and other press coverage) that anyone looking
at the mascot as an "issue" is a) barking up the wrong tree and
b) focusing their time and energy in the wrong direction.

In other words, if you want to make a clear and honest difference then
put your energy and words behind the real problems.  If you just want
to waste time and give yourself a false sense of achievement by
tackling some proxy issue, then worry about the mascot.  Frankly, I
don't think we have the time and energy to waste on that kind of
sillyness though.  If you actually care about FreeBSD's image and want
to do something honestly productive, write a book or a magazine
article.

- Jordan