Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:54:08 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: warning after exiting X-windows

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 09:29:24PM -0400, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> Each time I exit X-windows by ctrl_alt_backspace, I got the following:
>
> Gdk-WARNING ** :  locale not supported by C library
> /dev/dsp: no such file or directory.
>
> What is /dev/dsp?  How to avoid this annoying message? I am new to
> X-windows. Just tell me how to fix this. Thanks.

/dev/dsp is the digitised sound device, from `man pcm'

    [...]
    FILES
         The following commonly used symbolic links to real device nodes
    should be
         present:

         /dev/audio      Sparc-compatible audio device
         /dev/dsp        Digitized voice device
         /dev/dspW       Like /dev/dsp, but 16 bits per sample
         /dev/midi       Raw midi access device
         /dev/mixer      Control port mixer device
         /dev/music      Level 2 sequencer interface
         /dev/sequencer  Sequencer device
         /dev/pss        Programmable device interface
    [...]

To disable it you may possibly want to disable sound-support.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>