Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 01:31:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tms2@mail.ptd.net (Thomas M. Sommers)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

> If they are giving away their source, they probably aren't planning on
> making much of a profit from it any more.  If they use the GPL, they can
> be pretty sure that no one else will make one, either.

If I have a beer, and I'm not going to drink it, if I piss in it,
I can be pretty sure no one will drink it, either.

> Management has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders.  If they give
> away their source, and some other company makes a killing with it,
> management has breached that duty.

Through malfeasance, by ignoring the market for the code themselves.

> But if they use the GPL, it is very unlikely that any other
> company will make that killing, and management will be in the clear.

No.  They will still be guilty of malfeasance.  But they will also
be guilty of criminal fraud, in that they covered up their malfeasance.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.