Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:09:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1048090184.239b5f@mired.org>
To:        <Vijay.Singh@nokia.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: init and process restart

In <4D7B558499107545BB45044C63822DDE01AF2A38@mvebe001.americas.nokia.com>, Vijay.Singh@nokia.com typed:
> Hi. Is it possible to use init to restart some user critical processes if they die. Has any work been done in this area. Please CC me.

Yes, it's possible to have init start a process at system boot time,
and restart the process if it dies. The single paragraph that
describes this in the init man page is:

     The init utility can also be used to keep arbitrary daemons running,
     automatically restarting them if they die.  In this case, the first field
     in the ttys(5) file must not reference the path to a configured device
     node and will be passed to the daemon as the final argument on its com-
     mand line.  This is similar to the facility offered in the AT&T System V
     UNIX /etc/inittab.

	<mike