Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 14:36:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Kernel Building Problem

I am unable to build a kernel on my old 2.2.8-STABLE machine. I
recently did a 'make world' on this machine. Before that, the _same_
kernel configuration worked fine. Now I get an error.

After I do a successful 'make depend,' I try to 'make.' Here is what
happens,

# make
echo "gcc2_compiled." >symbols.exclude
echo "___gnu_compiled_c" >>symbols.exclude
grep -v '^#' ../../i386/i386/symbols.raw  | sed 's/^    //' | sort -u > symbols.sort
cc -c -x assembler-with-cpp -DLOCORE -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include -DFAILSAFE -DCOMPAT_43 -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL ../../i386/i386/locore.s
cc -O -pipe -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include -DFAILSAFE -DCOMPAT_43 -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL -c vnode_if.c
vnode_if.c:616: parse error at null character
vnode_if.c:617: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
vnode_if.c:618: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
vnode_if.c:619: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
vnode_if.c:620: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
vnode_if.c:621: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:622: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:623: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:624: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:625: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:626: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:627: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:628: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:629: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:630: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:631: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:632: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:633: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:634: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:635: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:636: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:637: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:638: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
vnode_if.c:640: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after `vop_vfree_desc'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

A quick look at vnode_if.c shows nothing surprising at line 616. There
is a structure initiallization exactly like several before and several
after.

For completeness, the kernel config file and some other info follows
(just to see if it would change anything, I tried without the 'vn'
pseudo-device; same result). Anyone have an idea what is going on and
how I can fix it?

Last CVSup of 2.2.8-STABLE src, Nov  5 21:46.

# uname -mrs
FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE i386

Kernel Config:
#
# NEWMAIL Kernel
#
# Modified by Crist Clark
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           NEWMAIL
maxusers        32

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
# Need not be in kernel, right?
#options                NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
# Not needed
#controller     eisa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
# Rarely use CD
#options                ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

# We do not need the mouse
# device                psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

device ex0 at isa? port? net irq? vector exintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   vn
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   bpfilter 4       # Berkeley packet filter

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
# options               KTRACE          #kernel tracing

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG