Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:25:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stack contents visible from userland

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> These patches look good.  I wonder if there might be an easier way to
> accomplish this.  I don't see anything here that is a security risk,
> per se, since most of the stat struct is always filled in before the
> copyout.  Which fields in stat are not explicitly used?  I would have
> expected them all to be filled in in all cases.  It would likely be
> faster to just wonk on st_lspare and st_qspare[2] in cvstat...

  I wrote new patches which were less intrusive and only cleared the spare
fields rather than bzero'ing the entire structure. I've submitted the
patches with PR kern/14966.

  On a related note, these patches still solve my original problem of
being able to compare stat structures. I found that, at least on
FreeBSD/i386, I can reliably memcmp() two stat structures and determine
when a file's status has changed (even on filesystems without ctime). All
is right in the world. :)

  Thanks for the feedback,

  Kelly

--