Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:53:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, joelh@gnu.org
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> > Whereas in order to get the existing non-"-f" behaviour, I'd have to
> > modify existing code.
>
> A warning message wouldn't break your existing code.  Again, we're not
> proposing a prompt here, just a diagnostic that you can ignore if
> you're intentionally linking to a non-existant file.

 Umm... just a subtle point here.   Adding a message that didn't
 previously exist with working scripts will almost always break
 some code.

 If this ln were placed in a shell script that produced the string "OK"
 when it worked correctly - then the sudden appearance of new text would
 likely break users of that shell script.

 Also, sending the message to stderr instead of stdout will break
 fewer programs; but you have no assurances.

 My point being - a change in behaviour without a change in interface
 will break programs... almost by definition.

 I'm a believer in the more conservative "add a new option to produce these
 warnings" approach.  Note that the opposite, add a new option to
 suppress the warnings isn't as palatable because one would need to
 visit every script that uses 'ln' and determine if the option should
 be added.   And, furthermore, that script would suddenly become
 FreeBSD-specific...

	- Dave Rivers -