Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 04:23:31 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   scanning the smbd port

I looked in the archives, but I didn't find anything on this. I've gotten
a number of messages like the following:

Dec 13 22:37:20 sten inetd[6015]: refused connection from 61-231-96-100.HINET-IP
.hinet.net, service smbd (tcp)itten

They seem to come from all over. In addition to Taiwan, they come from
Pakistan, Japan, and my own local ISP. My interpretation is that they are
scanning smbd ports. Is this correct, and why Samba?

Also, I've got the following in /etc/hosts.allow:

ALL : localhost 127.0.0.1 : allow
ALL : 192.162.0/24 : allow
ALL : ALL : deny

I don't want to provide any services outside of the local network. I
want the hosts inside the local network to be able to request services
out on the Internet. Is there a better way of doing this?

Bob Hall