Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:18:11 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Troy Settle <troy@psknet.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mod_perl

--QCC2I/2CckNfI+Tr

> Two things you need to keep in mind:
>=20
> 1. Not all Perl source is compatible with mod_perl. Your scripts WILL
> break if they are not coded in "the mod_perl way".

	Not necessarily, normal CGI's can exist under mod_perl and=20
take some of the advantages of mod_perl w/o having to do the work to=20
port the script to mod_perl.

http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#The_Script_Is_Too_Dirty_But_It_

http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html

> Many perl scripts NOT written for mod_perl will not work correctly.
> (Chances are they will WORK, but will start to produce WEIRD results
> like incremental counters that work fine for awhile, then start
> spitting out oddball numbers). Your choice:
>
> 	* (re)write the CGI for mod_perl
> 	* Don't run the script under mod_perl

	;~) There's some truth to this... and memory leaks, etc.  "use=20
strict;" and -w is your friend.  Here's a config section to ponder.

 # httpd.conf
  Alias /cgi-perl/ /home/httpd/cgi/
 =20
  <Location /cgi-perl>
    # AllowOverride None
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::PerlRun
    Options ExecCGI
    allow from all
    PerlSendHeader On    # this is the important directive
  </Location>

	-sc

> 2. [snip]
>=20
> 	Alias /cgi-bin/ "/home/user/cgi-bin"
> 	<Location /cgi-bin>
> 		SetHandler	perl-script
> 		PerlHandler	Apache::Registry
> 		Options		ExecCGI
> 		PerlSendHeader	ON
> 	</Location>
>=20
>=20
> Note that a mod_perl handler will NOT exec binary or other shell script
> CGIs. For that you need to use scriptalias.
>=20
> It is possible to make both a ScriptAlias CGI directory and a mod_perl CGI
> directory and use both. For some virtuals here, we have a cgi-bin and a
> cgi-perl, for example.
>=20
> Hope this helps.
>=20