Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:47:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum malfunction!
References:  <20001231101426.K99806@wantadilla.lemis.com> <Pine.LNX.4.10.10101011231530.21348-100000@shark.harmonic.co.il> <20010102092819.K44043@wantadilla.lemis.com> <978425185.3a519561dbcdb@webmail.harmonic.co.il> <20010102193241.C40453@wantadilla.lemis.com> <978427080.3a519cc850a45@webmail.harmonic.co.il> <20010102034408.B56810@peorth.iteration.net> <978438556.3a51c99cea732@webmail.harmonic.co.il>

On Tuesday,  2 January 2001 at 14:29:16 +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> Quoting "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>:
>> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:18:00AM +0200, Roman Shterenzon scribbled:
>>> Quoting Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>:

>>> 3) I was trying to say that saying "too much text doesn't allow me
>>> to work on it" is an EXCUSE. The PR had the needed information and
>>> it wasn't mutilated.  Perhaps you think that this bug seldom
>>> occures, or, perhaps you have some other reason.

Well, I've explained this already.  Yes, it's relatively rare.  And
your PR is really as good as illegible.

>>> 4) RAID-5 cost our company enormous down-time and cost me
>>> personally my health.  This is why I think it's dangerous and I
>>> want to warn others until this bug is fixed.

Under those circumstances, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to
supply the information I've asked for.

>> It's documented.
>
> Where? I asked to document it, but haven't seen it documented.  If
> it's already documented, then I'm happy.

In the man page, where it belongs.  I posted it in answer to Joe
Karthauser's message

>>> 5) I'm using webmail, thus I'm unable to control the format of the
>>> sent mail.
>>> Sorry.
>>
>> You are a consultant, and you should be able to find a real MUA for
>> your work.
>
> I'm happy that you know what I should and shouldn't know better than
> me.

As Michael says, sarcasm doesn't help, especially when you use it to
make up for any real reason.  It certainly doesn't say much for your
professionalism if you use toy mailers.  I have spent about 5 minutes
recovering this message to make it legible again.  Have you considered
what people think when they receive such badly prepared documentation?
Normally I just throw away that kind of message unread, but I still
have hope that I might be able to get some information out of this
affair.

>>> 6) If it's so hard to you to dig valuable information from PR
>>> 22103, I can do it by myself and resubmit it. Will this make any
>>> difference?

Yes, assuming the information is there.

>> I read PR/22103, and I don't think you did submit the necessary
>> information.
>
> What's missing? Be constructive, not destructive

Well, I have told you several times.  For a least the third time: take
a look at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply
the information I ask for, no more, no less.  Ensure that it is
legible.

> What did irritate me is that greg mailed the other person and told
> him to send a report. My and another person's reports weren't
> considered at all.

Well, an obvious reason for that is that the problems had nothing to
do with each other.  The other guy didn't have any crashes, any data
corruption, and he wasn't using RAID-5.  He just couldn't start Vinum,
and he didn't give any information.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.