Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Arash Farahmand <afarah@mictlan.sfsu.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jon O." <netcmd@networkcommand.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time and history

Greg,

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 25 September 1999 at  6:05:52 +0000, Jon O. wrote:
> > I just have a small suggestion. The history command shows the time
> > commands are executed and I have found this very useful in the past.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about here.  history is
> a command in some shells, but I don't know any other use, and the
> shell history commands don't associate times with the history items.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but upon issuing the 'history' command
from tcsh, three columns are shown on the screen: command (or prompt or
event) number, the "time" the command was issued, and the command itself.

However, some other shells like csh and bash, only show the event number
and the event itself.

> > I would find it very useful if Freebsd report the time with more
> > precision than minutes. Say seconds or even better.
>
> I wonder if you're talking about syslogd.  In that case, it sounds
> like a reasonable suggestion.  There's no problem doing it; FreeBSD
> can resolve down to microseconds.

With this question, another question came up to my mind.

Unix time counter will reset sometime in the year 2037 (again, please
correct me if this is wrong).  Although this is relatively far in the
future, is there any plan to modify the time counter on Unix machines to
cope with the next time bug? ;-)

Thanks,

Arash

P.S. Surely you have heard it many times: thank you very much for your
very nice book.