Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 14:38:22 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor Video Capture Card Driver

On Aug 22, 15:03, Jim Lowe wrote:
} I just tried the meteor card in an ASUS triton box with the NCR controller in
} it.  The machine locked up on large frame transfers.  It seemed to work
} just fine as long as I kept the PCI data transfer down with small frame
} sizes.  If I remove the NCR controller and use a different one, the
} machine works just fine.

Which controller did you use instead ?

} For some reason, the NCR seems to lock up when the PCI bus gets real
} busy.  I am not sure why.

Did you try lower values of the "PCI Latency
Timer" of the slot the Matrox has been put in ?

(This timer determines the number of bus clocks
a PCI card may claim ownerchip of the PCI bus,
if another card wants to start a transfer.
The NCR executes its instruction stream from
host RAM, and it may get into trouble if it
can only get another instruction every 10us ...)

A latency timer setting of some 0x20 for the
matrox should allow the NCR to access the bus
once per micro second. Guess this is a good
value ...

(The latency timer doesn't force the PCI device
to give up bus ownership if there is no request
from another device and thus doesn't slow down
the Matrox unless it makes the NCR starve ...)

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160