Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 13:16:49 -0400
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsweb and permissions

I am trying to access a cvs repository with the cvsweb port on
4.0-STABLE but I get error messages like:

Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs checkout: Sorry, you don't
have read/write access to the history file cvs [checkout aborted]:
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied write-access to the
CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
The script needs to place lock files in the directory the file is in as
well.

The cvsweb.cgi program is installed as 555 owned by root:wheel.  All the
directories in the repository are 775 owned by user1:wheel and all files
are 555 owned by user1:wheel.  The history file is 664

I assume the script reference is to the cvsweb.cgi perl program.
Shouldn't it be able to write to the history file (664) and place locks
in the file directory (775) due to the group write permission?

I can get a copy of a file if I change the history permissions to 666
but I still get the following error when I try to annotate it:

Regular access via cvs and cvs pserver works as expected.  Obviously I'm
not understanding something about the setup for cvsweb.

Any help or observations appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>