Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:10:46 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        James Lim <james@sg.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, johnp@lodgenet.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File server tweaks - was: Sysadmin Article

We run solaris, linux (redhat), and freebsd fileservers here, all for
separate uses (althought I would get rid of the linux fs's if I had 100%
say in it).. I'll tell you, the freebsd runs circles around the solaris
boxen.. I have only done some SMALL tweaks to it, and it seems to easily
stomp all over solaris AND linux, which isn't really all that surprising
to me.. I'm sure they probably weren't looking at the NFS portion of the
system, which is one place freebsd is superior to (in my opinion) all
other os'es.. They probably did local testing (which is pretty lame
considering most fileservers are, well, file SERVERs, that serve many
clients and not itself at all)..

Anyway, does anyone happen to have a list of "hacks and tweaks" for
fileserving? It would be interesting to see what real-world servers are
doing..

Eric