Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:04:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Crespo, Ramon" <IMCEAEX-_O=STIS_OU=STIS_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=RCRESPO@STIS.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X11 Settings for the MiataGL

Crespo, Ramon writes:
 > Hello All,
 >
 > I have successfully installed 4.3-RELEASE on my MiataGL and I was wondering
 > if X11 works on it. I don't know if its reading the video card correctly or
 > what because I try to use 'SuperProbe' and it core dumps. Is there any Alpha
 > specific X11 out there? If so please point me to it. Also does anyone have
 > any other resources besides the list (which is great) .. WebPages or
 > something? Right now its displaying @ 320x400 which is a little ridiculous
 > on a 19" monitor.

If you're using XFree86 3.x, note that (as David O'Brien pointed out
earlier on this mailing list):

   The "graphical" XFree86 configuration program -- XF86Setup program
   *requires* the VGA16 server.  This server does NOT build on the
   Alpha.  Not just FreeBSD/alpha, but AlphaLinux and Tru86 also.

   The issue with using the text-only xf86config is that it does not
   know about moused's sysmouse.  Thus you either cannot use moused,
   or you must hack the /etc/XF86Config file xf86config creates to
   specify sysmouse.

So, basically you'll need to know what kind of monitor you have, what
sort of resolution / refresh rate its capable of & what sort of video
card you have.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine you have an Elsa Gloria Synergy (3Dlabs
Permedia-2 based) card.

Good luck.

Drew