Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 16:12:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "CA01 Jewell Christopher G. RM3" <circuit@vinson.navy.mil>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: makeinf an executable command in Unix

Please don't send questions like this to -hackers.  That list is for
in-depth discussion of FreeBSD topics.  This one belongs in
-questions.

On Friday, 10 July 1998 at 20:13:54 -1000, CA01 Jewell Christopher G. RM3 wrote:
> I am trying to make a cleanup routine for my hp-ux system. I made a file
> with the simple command
> find / -name core -print
>
> I saved it as .cleanup

Well, firstly it's unlikely that you'll find any files called core.
FreeBSD prepends the name of the program to a core file, so you're
more likely to find something like foobar.core.  You can do this by
changing your command to:

  find / -name "*.core" | xargs rm -f

You don't need the -print command, it's implicit.  On the other hand,
you probably want to do more than print them, so in this example I've
shown you how to remove them.

> everytime i execut it with
> . .cleanup
> command it gives me Permission denied on several directories. Can anyon
> ehelp me out here?

Sure.  This is a feature, not a bug.  You don't have access to those
directories.  If you run it as root, you should be fine, unless the
directories in question are on another machine to which you don't have
root access, in which case they're still a feature, not a bug.

Greg