Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 08:15:23 -0400
From:      mj001 <mj001@rogers.com>
To:        Jonathan <j.e.drews@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good FreeBSD book

Jonathan wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I recently got "FreeBSD: An Open-Source operating system for your personal
> computer", by Annelise Anderson. I must say this is a really excellent
> introduction to FreeBSD. Although the book covers FreeBSD 4.3, much of the
> material is still relevant to 4.8. A 4.8 CD was included with the book. She
> has an entire chapter on ports plus a very nice chapter on kernel
> configuration and compiling. She covers the commands: kldstat, kldload,
> dmesg, ldconfig, last, netstat, w, who, ps and top. She covers cvsup too.  I
> learned a lot about my new FreeBSD by reading this book.
>
> http://www.bsdmall.com/freebosforyo.html
>

> 								Kind regards,
> 								Jonathan

I also recommend "Absolute BSD", by Michael Lucas.  It is subtitled "The
ultimate guide to FreeBSD", and is very comprehensive.  It is more
technical, and less a beginer's guide, than "FreeBSD Unleashed".  It
gives lots of information on security and configuration; there is a
complete run-down of the /etc hierarchy, for example.

ISBN 1-886411-74-3.