Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:20:43 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Ashish SHUKLA <ashish@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] editors/emacs to 24.1

On 07/23/2012 13:39, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:32:34 +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> said:
>> Arabic, which is finally displayed from right-to-left, works in
>> windowed mode, but for me, it does not work correctly with "-nw":
>> While it is displayed correctly in a LANG=en_US.UTF-8 Konsole (KDE
>> terminal), the order of the letters is changed just by moving the
>> cursor through Arabic text. I do not think this is a problem with the
>> port, but either with my setup or with emacs-24.1 in general.
>
> Did you try other terminal, like mrxvt ? I think it's problem with terminal,
> and not Emacs, but I might be wrong.

mrxvt and mrxvt-devel both do not display utf-8 at all. I tried
rxvt-unicode: While only some of the Arabic characters where displayed
correctly, the cursor was moving properly and it did not reorder the
characters. Emacs and the Emacs port seem to be fine. Finding and
setting up a terminal that works properly with Arabic seems to be the
problem.

My curiosity ends here. I cannot even read Arabic myself. I just happen
to know someone, who would like to use Arabic in Emacs with auctex, but
that person does not ever use "-nw".

>> For my use, I would be happy, if emacs-24.1 was the default in ports, soon.
>
> Sure, it will be. I'd some personal issues over past weeks which are not
> rectified so less slacking, more hacking.

Sorry, if my statement sounded demanding. It was not meant to be at all.
I just wanted to summarize that the issues I found are not with the
port, I consider them extremely minor, and I will use emacs-24.1 from
now on.

Thanks,
Jan Henrik