Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:24:35 +1000
From:      Mark Hannon <markhannon@optushome.com.au>
To:        Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS implementation question (system VS map passwords)

> since services like pop3 on server need updated passwords.  And shell/ftp
> need the same on the client.

Move all your user accounts to /var/yp as you describe in next
paragraph.

Add +::::::::: to bottom of both client and server master.passwd.
Add +::: to bottom of client and server /etc/group

Make sure you are running the server also as a NIS client!!!!!!

> The obvious solution is to cp /etc/master.passwd to /var/yp and edit out
> the admin accounts before building NIS maps.  But then my users can only
> use yppasswd on client to update /var/yp/master.passwd (which grants access
> to shell) and not nis server's /etc/master.passwd (used to access pop3 on
> server).

As long as you add the + lines into both server and client master.passwd
then your pop server will use your yp maps as well.

/mark