Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:18:16 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kdemultimedia stomps on graphics/mpeg-lib's .so files

Or the other way around depending on installation order.

Both ports lay claim to /usr/local/lib/libmpeg.so. Now, this wouldn't be
so bad except they aren't the *same* libmpeg.so.

Gimp requires the libmpeg.so from mpeg-lib. So, the side effect of this
is that Gimp can't build a plugin it wants to, and the packaging of Gimp
then fails due to missing files.

I'm not sure yet what a good solution is, but clearly it'll have to
involve changing kdemultimedia3, as mpeg-lib can easily claim seniority.

I wonder if we can move kdemultimedia's libmpeg.so to
/usr/local/lib/kde3, and have things still work...

I'd like to ignore this and say 'who cares' as much as anyone who
doesn't really use Gnome for anything, but Gimp is an important
(prominent and widely used) application and we have inadvertantly broken
it. There may be other apps which also use mpeg-lib; I haven't grepped
for it, yet.

Comments, suggestions, whatever you got, please.

--
AlanE