Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:57:23 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 01:20:26PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  4 April 1999 at  4:46:42 +0200, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> > I have a question that has nothing to do with FreeBSD, but anyway. When
> > was the change to summertime in USA?
>
> It will happen today (Sunday) at between 07:00 and 13:00 UTC.  You can
> find this information in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/northamerica: the
> relevant part of the information (which is used to build the zoneinfo
> files installed in /etc/localtime) is:
>
> # Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
> Rule	US	1967	max	-	Oct	lastSun	2:00	0	S
> Rule	US	1987	max	-	Apr	Sun>=1	2:00	1:00	D
>
> You can also find the local time anywhere with the TZ environment
> variable:
>
>   $ date
>   Sun Apr  4 13:09:34 CST 1999
>   $ TZ=Europe/Stockholm date
>   Sun Apr  4 05:39:43 CEST 1999

The problem was, that we in Europe changed to summertime the last sunday
in March, and for some reason the timezone on that M$-machine was set to
CET-2DST but it should have been CET-1DST. I guess the wrong part of the
TZ was just dropped by rdate (the machine is running PC-NFS from
Solaris, and there is nothing whatsoever in the PC-NFS docs on TZ.)

Thanks to all who answered!

>   $ TZ=America/Chicago date
>   Sat Apr  3 21:39:54 CST 1999
>   $
>
> Note the imaginative time zone abbreviations, some of which I think
> are just plain wrong.
>
> > The reason I'm asking is that I have an application that runs on NT (I
> > know :-) that for some reason got hickups this night at 02.00. The only
> > reason I can see, is that the code maybe somewhere is relating to summer
> > time of some other kind than what we've got in Europe. We changed one
> > week ago.
>
> You need to be sure that NT has the correct time zone information.
> Windows 95% doesn't for our time zone (South Australia, abbreviated
> SA).  It thinks that the time change was at the beginning of March,
> when in fact it was at the end of March.  The version I have also
> seems to think that SA reaches all the way to the north of the
> continent, eliminating the Northern Territory: it believes that NT
> doesn't exist :-)

In total it was 2 different troubles I had. One machine, running DOS and
PC-NFS, and the other running braindead NT

On the first I set the timezone CET-1DST as mentioned above, but the
other one running Neanderthal Technology, I had to set the timezone to
GMT-2 to get it to understand where it was. (Yes it IS GMT-2 to make it
work, although Sweden is GMT+2 hours)

I knew I would get answers here, although it didn't have any issue
towards FreeBSD, but who thinks I had got ANY answer from M$ ;-)

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_