Date:      	Sun, 22 Feb 1998 01:03:53 -0500
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@calvin.math.vt.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new 2.2.5 installation randomly (and constantly) panics

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 12:09:05PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sat, 21 February 1998 at 20:25:39 -0500, matthew c. mead wrote:
> > I've got a newly installed 2.2.5 system which was running 2.1.7 up until
> > this morning that's panic'ing every 10 minutes or so, without indication
> > as to why.  All of a sudden, the machine reboots.  There's nothing in
> > the log files, and nothing showing up on the console.  How can I go
> > about finding out what the problem is and correcting it?  I've enabled
> > the savecore functionality - how do I go about looking at those files to
> > figure out what's happening?

> Are you getting core dump files?  If so, check out
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook266.html.  This should also be
> on your system as /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook266.html if you
> installed the online handbook.

Ok, I've done that, but my kernel was not built from a config -g, so
I'll try to get in there and rebuild - hopefully it'll stay up long
enough...  Here's the output I have for now:

root@goof % cd /sys/compile/GOOF
root@goof % gdb -k kernel /var/crash/vmcore.0
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
IdlePTD 1e0000
current pcb at 1bf010
panic: general protection fault
#0  0xf0110313 in boot ()
(kgdb) where
#0  0xf0110313 in boot ()
#1  0xf01105d2 in panic ()
#2  0xf018b556 in trap_fatal ()
#3  0xf018ae06 in trap ()
#4  0xefbffc68 in ?? ()
#5  0xf017f70f in vm_pager_has_page ()
#6  0xf0176b51 in vm_fault_additional_pages ()
#7  0xf0175faf in vm_fault ()
#8  0xf018afd8 in trap_pfault ()
#9  0xf018ad1f in trap ()
#10 0xf0189d34 in fastmove ()
#11 0xf0189c82 in i586_copyin ()
#12 0xf0125347 in sosend ()
#13 0xf0119ef5 in soo_write ()
#14 0xf0117823 in write ()
#15 0xf018b7ef in syscall ()
#16 0x8098391 in ?? ()
#17 0x359f in ?? ()
#18 0x8467 in ?? ()
#19 0x2009 in ?? ()
#20 0x1095 in ?? ()

> > Additionally, is there something I might not know about with 2.2.5
> > that could be causing this?  Help!  Thanks!

> Possibly.  It's impossible to tell without knowing the panic string.
> Certainly this is the first we've heard of this sudden a change from
> 2.1.7 to 2.2.5.  Are you sure you haven't changed *anything* in the
> hardware configuration?  Do you have any unusual hardware connected?

The hardware configuration changed as follows:  a 4G seagate hard drive
was added to ahc0.

The hardware in the machine is an ISA vga card, a dec 21040 based
ethernet card, an NCR 8510 PCI scsi card, an Adaptec UltraSCSI 2940,
and a P90 cpu (clocked to 100 - has been that way for about 2 years
without problems).

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead			Virginia Tech Mathematics Department
				460 McBryde Hall