Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:43:22 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 15:19:41 -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>>     Anyway, the one hurdle I'm trying to get over at the moment is that
>> vinum thinks that the devices /dev/da1c through /dev/da9c do not exist
>> (they do -- I created them with MAKEDEV), and therefore it refuses to
>> start the disks d1 through d9.  Without those disks, of course neither of
>> the two plexes start up, and of course the volume fails to start as well.
>
>      Once the plex has been created, you need to use names like
> "/dev/da1" instead of "/dev/da1c" (the man page is wrong).  Just drop
> the partition letter and use the name of the disk slice.

This is a little confusing, even to me.  I assume that you're talking
about the 'read' command, which requires slice names and not partition
names.  But the bug that did sneak into the man page has been fixed
again (though it might be on 3.1-RELEASE), and in later versions you
should use 'start' without any parameters rather than 'read', which
was a real pain.

Greg